Sunday 26 June 2016

Reuben Ng_17 independent learning log

Article 1
1.25pm- 2.25 pm
14/6/16

Source:Straits Times 

What I did:
I decided to buy newspaper and read. I was flipping through it, hoping to find an article that interests me. Then I saw an article on haze so i decided to read it. I also decide to do a summary of the article. I also saw some new words and search them up the dictionary.

What i Learned:
 Words that i Don't understand:

transboundary:  something that indicates bounds or limits; a limiting or bounding line

multilateral: agreed upon or participated in by three or more parties, especially the governments of different countries

bilateral: involving two parties, especially countries.

controversial: giving rise or likely to give rise to controversy or public disagreement.

Summary: Singapore wants to take legal action against those who cause the forest fires in Indonesia but the Indonesian Vice-president said that if there was an offence, Singapore can take action, but the offence occured in Indonesia that is the concern. And there was an ASEAN agreement on transboundary haze pollution is a multilateral one not a bilateral pact between Singapore and Indonesia, therefore Singapore cannot step further into Indonesia legal domain. But the Indonesians do not understand that we Singapore are trying to help them by getting the directors of the companies to own up and take responsibility for what they have done.


























Article 2
2.30pm-3.30pm
14/6/16

Source: Straits Times 

What I did: 
I look for articles in the “Home” section. I saw an article on an animal and started reading it. I will also do a summary.

What I learned:
words I learned: 

wantonly: without regard for what is right, just, humane, etc.; careless; reckless

parapet: a low protective wall along the edge of a roof, bridge, or balcony.

Summary: There was someone who threw his or her cat down ( there is no suspect so far ), and a deliveryman saw it and called the SPCA and now the SPCA are looking for witnesses to bring the evildoer to justice.





































Article 3
3.45pm-4.45pm
14/6/16

Source: Straits Times

What I did : I browsed for interesting articles. I saw some words and I recognised it but don’t know the meaning so i checked the dictionary. I also did a summary.

What I learned:

A few new words

cache: a collection of items of the same type stored in a hidden or inaccessible place.

televised: record for or transmit by television

Summary: Omar Mateen did a lone-wolf attack at a gay nightclub killed 49 people and injured many more. Investigations are still going on and the ISIS militant group has confessed that they had ordered Omar to carry out the attack and that Omar has pledged alliance to ISIS before the attack. The police are now investigating if Omar had made any contact with the militant group, ISIS.

































Article 4
5pm-6pm
14/6/16

Source: BBC Knowledge magazine 

What I did: Look for interesting articles. I also did a summary. 


What I learned:

Summary: There are astronauts who are training to be on Mars by living in the desert as the desert area is quite remote and is quite similar to Mars except that the average temperature on Mars is -63 degree celcius. The astronauts have a new suit which has better performance compared to the older ones. In the article, it also stated that the astronauts might have to be vegetarian as bringing tin canned meat will be too heavy and vegetables can be grown on Mars. They can also 3D print some edible food but it will need some kind of gel to make it edible and nutritious.







































Article 5
7pm-8pm
14/6/16

Source: BBC knowledge magazine

What I did : look through the magazine for interesting topics. I wrote a summary too.

What I learnt

mammograms: an image obtained by mammography.


Summary: People have trained the pigeons to read mammograms to see if the female has breast cancer. After 2 weeks of training, the pigeon can tell if the person has breast cancer correctly 85% of the time. But even physicians with years of training still find it difficult to correctly interpret mammograms.

No comments:

Post a Comment