Saturday 11 June 2016

Abigail Tan's Independent Learning Log 2

Name: Abigail Tan
Index Number: 1
Week: 2
Date: 11/6/16


Source:
http://decodedpast.com/when-did-music-begin/1274


What I did:
I am really into music, so I decided to find out more about music.


What I learned:
Music is everywhere. I learnt that the first musical instrument might have been a roughly constructed hollow stick through which one could blow and make sound – the precursor of wind instruments. There were cave paintings that depict people dancing to music too. One of the first stringed instruments was King David’s harp from Hebrew scripture as well as the Old Testament of the Christian Bible. Some contemporary composers went a step further and used actual sounds of nature in their compositions.
Music soothes, relaxes, inspires, controls, and manipulates us. Nature has special music. All this while music was out there, waiting for humans to discover.


Words I didn’t know:
Precursor: A person or thing that comes before another of the same kind; a forerunner.
Contemporary : Belonging to or occurring in the present.

No comments:

Post a Comment