Thursday 23 June 2016

Jonah Choke's Independent learning log 1-5

Learning Log 1


Name: Jonah Choke
Index no. 13
Date: 19 June 2016
T?W3


Source:


What I did:
I wanted to look for some articles about animals, so I went to http://www.nationalgeographic.com/ and found this article regarding how an injured tortoise got saved by replacing its amputated leg with wheels.


Words I do not know:
Carapace: the hard upper shell of a tortoise, crustacean, or arachnid.


What I learnt:
I learnt that there is now a solution to save an amputee tortoise. The tortoise can now be able to move freely and also move faster than usual by replacing its legs with wheels. Now, the tortoise can live a normal life just like how it was before.


Summary:
There is a way to save amputee tortoises.


Learning Log 2


Name: Jonah Choke
Index no. 13
Date: 19 June 2016
T?W3


Source:


What I did:
I heard about the unfortunate incident at the northern Russian lake and wanted to know more about it thus, I googled it and found this article on http://www.asiaone.com/


Words I do not know:
Probe: a thorough investigation into a crime or other matter.


What I learnt:
I learnt that 11 children and an adult had died at the northern Russian lake. A group of children was on board two boats and one raft that were caught in a storm during the night and the children aged 12-15 that died did not wear any life jackets. I also learnt that 36 people have been saved, whereabouts of 4 other people and one of the summer camp instructors has been detained for questioning.


Summary:

11 Children and an adult have died, 36 people have been saved, and four other people could not be found at the northern Russian lake.


Learning Log 3


Name: Jonah Choke
Index no. 13
Date: 19 June 2016
T?W3


Source:


What I did:
I heard about the alligator incident that happened in Disney World and wanted to find out more about it. Thus, I googled it and found an article about it at http://edition.cnn.com/


Words I do not know:
Lambaste: criticise (someone or something) harshly.


What I learnt:
A 2-year-old boy pulled by an alligator into a lagoon near a Walt Disney World hotel has been found dead. His body had only a few puncture wounds. His father jumped in and tried to pry the gator's mouth open. His mother jumped in, too. But it was too late. The child was dragged underwater in the Seven Seas Lagoon. The body was found in 6 feet of murky water 10 to 15 yards from where the boy was attacked.


Summary:
A 2-year-old boy pulled by an alligator into a lagoon near a Walt Disney World hotel has been found dead.


Learning Log 4

Name: Jonah Choke
Index no. 13
Date: 23 June 2016
T?W4

Source:

What I did:
I wanted to know more about the impact of climate change. Thus, I searched for articles about the impact of climate change and found an article at http://time.com/ about climate change.

Words I do not know:
Bycatch: the unwanted fish and other marine creatures trapped by commercial fishing nets during fishing for a different species.

What I learnt:

Climate Change Is Fueling a Rise in Shark Attacks not because of shark activity but because of more human activity. According to a study by Progress in Oceanography, Climate change is pushing sharks and other marine species northward. At the same time, warm weather means people are more likely go swimming, a potentially fatal combination. Most shark attacks take place in Florida, California and Hawaii, where tourists often visit beaches. The number of tourists in Florida, where the most shark attacks take place, has risen every year since 2009, to 106 million last year. Meanwhile, there’s also been a gradual increase in the number of sharks in the water.


Summary:
Climate change is fueling a rise in shark attacks in places like Florida, California and Hawaii, where tourists often visit beaches due to the rise of human activity.


Learning Log 5

Name: Jonah Choke
Index no. 13
Date: 23 June 2016
T?W4

Source:

What I did:
I was interested in spiders and did a research about it and I found this article at http://www.nationalgeographic.com/ about hundreds of mouse-sized spiders released in U.K.

Words I do not know:
Poll: the process of voting in an election.

What I learnt:
The fen raft spider (Dolomedes plantarius), which can grow up to three inches (7.6 centimetres) long and sometimes eats fish, is the largest species of spider in the U.K. It is also endangered. That's why scientists from the London-area zoo Chessington World of Adventures have been breeding it in captivity. Since then, numbers of wild spiders have reportedly doubled. As a result of this increase, the zoo says it no longer needs to release captive fen raft spiders.

Summary:
Hundreds of mouse-sized spiders released in U.K. and some people are celebrating while others find it horrifying.







No comments:

Post a Comment